Sandhills Publishing follows the direct-to-plate prepress production process and does not output film. We ask that all ads submitted on disc or via email follow these standards:
Discs. Sandhills Publishing prefers to receive electronic versions of ads; if that is not possible, we are able to output files from a CD-ROM or DVD.
Programs. Ads should be created in InDesign CC or earlier versions on either PC or Mac operating systems. Sandhills Publishing’s prepress process is PC-based, and all Macintosh-based documents are imported to Windows prior to output.
Fonts. Sandhills Publishing will not download any fonts or accept any fonts on disc. A list of fonts available through Sandhills Publishing is included in this document. When submitting ads on disc, please adhere to the following font usage standards:
- Design the ad using our fonts.
- Design the ad using your own fonts. Once the ad is received by Sandhills Publishing, those fonts will be substituted with the fonts listed in this document. You may specify which fonts you would prefer to have substituted, or we will make the selection for you.
- You may use your own fonts when creating text in Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator CC (or earlier versions), or Photoshop CC (or earlier versions), but you must convert the text to curves, outlines, or paths. The text will then be read as a graphic, not individual fonts. Doing this will also make the text uneditable. Please export Corel Draw files as Photoshop documents.
- Minimum type size is 7 point with no less than 7-point leading. Tracking should be no less than zero, and the horizontal and vertical scale should be no less than 100%.
- Black type is always recommended for small text.
Graphics. When submitting ads on disc or by email, be sure to include all of the graphics (TIFF and EPS) used in the ad. All images should be saved in an “uncompressed” format. Include a reference sheet listing the file name of the document to be output and all of the file names of the graphics used in the ad. Graphics must be a minimum of 200 dpi and use CMYK color space.
PDF Files. Once received, PDF files will be opened in Photoshop CC and prepared for placement in an InDesign CC document. Make sure all fonts are embedded.
Photos. After downloading the photos from the camera, save them in a JPEG file format with high-quality compression and excellent image quality.
Photos sent on disc, by email, or via the Internet should be taken and submitted at the resolution for the appropriate picture size. (See table below.) The product should fill the picture frame. Minimal cropping will occur. Save the pictures in either the JPEG, TIFF, or EPS file formats. Please note, when saving files as JPEG, use the excellent image quality setting.